E&PDE HERNING 2020
September 10 - September 11
The 22nd International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education will be hosted by VIA Design, VIA University in Herning, Denmark.
The conference is organised in partnership with the Design Education Special Interest Group (DESIG) of the Design Society and the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED).
The E&PDE conference will bring together representatives from education and industry who have an interest in sharing new perspectives on design education. The conference will provide a forum for educators, practitioners and students from product development, engineering and industrial design, together with industry to discuss current educational issues and the nature of design education now and in the future.
This year we will be continuing our Visual Papers track inviting papers with high visual content and less text. Information on this exciting new format can be found here.
The Value of Design & Engineering Education in a Knowledge Age
In the Knowledge Age, technology and ideas are the main sources of economic growth, and this requires workers with new and different skills.
Knowledge is more than what is in the minds of experts or classified within separate disciplines.
Knowledge is now defined and valued not only by what it is, but also by its potential as a driver for innovation.
These changes have major implications for our educational system. We need to empower students to be able to locate, evaluate and work creatively with knowledge to generate new and improved solutions that can be implemented in practice.
This year’s conference theme aims to explore how knowledge can bridge the gap between the challenges of accelerating technological development and current design education practice.
The conference aims to:
- provide a platform to enable a broad variety of participants to discuss the value of design education in a knowledge age.
- explore educational solutions and exchange experiences of how to meet the future requirements of education and business.
- seek solutions to open new horizons to achieve a new innovation landscape.
- define the knowledge age in terms of design and engineering education.
- seek new perspectives on what design and engineering education means and involves
- explore the consequences of Industry 4.0 in a design and engineering education context.
- explore how can we prepare students to meet future challenges.
- explore the DNA and requirements of the next generation of design and engineering students.
The conference provides the opportunity for representatives from education and industry to share new perspectives on design education and how these may meet current and future needs. These issues will be addressed via the following conference topics related to the engineering and product design education:
- Innovation and creativity in design and engineering education.
- Industrial involvement in design and engineering education.
- Addressing ethical and social issues for design and engineering education.
- Assessment methods in design and engineering education.
- Engaging the public in design and engineering education.
- Industry 4.0 and the implications for design and engineering education
- Research in design and engineering education practice.
- Meeting 21st century challenges in further and higher education in design and engineering education.
- Educating designers and engineers for a sustainable future in design and engineering education.
In keeping with the inclusive ethos of the E&PDE conference and to broaden the opportunities to link design and business with creativity and innovation, other stream proposals are welcomed. We invite you to send your ideas for other relevant topics to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where? VIA Design
VIA Design’s campus in Herning, Birk Centerpark 5, Herning, Denmark.
REG>> E&PDE HERNING 2020 – REGISTRATION
Registration & Fees
Deadline: 18th November 2019
The Design Society’s facebook page
The Design Society’s facebook events
The Design Society’s twitter page
VIA University College’s facebook page
VIA University College’s twitter page
HEART – Herning Museum of Contemporary Art’s facebook page
HEART Museum Contemporary Art’s instagram page